NEWS

Kirsten Kluyt’s Murder Trial Scheduled to Start Following Court Denial of Additional Delays

The trial of Bafana Mahungela, accused of murdering schoolteacher Kirsten Kluyts, is set to commence on Monday.

Kluyts, 34, was killed while participating in an athletics event at George Lea Park on October 29, 2023.

– Advertisement –

Fellow runners reportedly found her cellphone and car keys along a pathway before initiating a search. Her body was eventually located among bushes down an embankment in a remote area.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Two Mpumalanga Police Officers Arrested For Alleged Corruption And Extortion

According to court documents, Mahungela allegedly attempted to assault Kluyts, struck her with a blunt object, and then strangled her.

It is further alleged that after the attack, he discarded his own black T-shirt and changed into Kluyts’s blue T-shirt and sunglasses before leaving the sports venue.

Mahungela allegedly disposed of some of her clothing items in a stormwater drain.

Accused Pleads Not Guilty To Charges

Mahungela, 23, who was a student residing in Parkmore at the time, has pleaded not guilty to charges including attempted rape or sexual assault, murder, kidnapping, and robbery with aggravating circumstances.

Kluyts was a teacher at Delta Park High School and was 14 weeks pregnant at the time of her death.

– Advertisement –

Last week, the Johannesburg High Court ruled that the case should not be postponed again, after the defense requested more time due to funding issues.

The defense informed the State that Mahungela’s counsel, advocate Stanley Jacobs, could not continue due to insufficient funds.

Mahungela’s attorney, Mfundo Ncongwane, requested a postponement of three to four weeks to secure payment.

Judge Criticizes Delays In Kirsten Kluyts Murder Case

Judge Ian Cox condemned the ongoing delays, stating that the case had already been scheduled to take place from April to June this year.

“This conduct is unethical and warrants reporting to the Legal Practice Council. It is not in the best interests of the accused, who has been in custody for three years,” the judge remarked.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Emergency Teams Race To Rescue Residents As Floods Devastate Eastern And Western Cape

The State opposed the postponement, arguing that witnesses traveling long distances could lose faith in the justice system if the case continued to be delayed.

Addressing Mahungela directly, Judge Cox stated that financial arrangements should have been made well ahead of time.

“You were aware last year that this matter was set from April to June. During that period, financial arrangements should have been established,” the judge said.

Mahungela responded through an interpreter that his father, who is self-employed, was experiencing financial difficulties.

Ultimately, Judge Cox ruled that further delays would not serve the interests of justice.

“Justice delayed is justice denied,” he said while denying the postponement request.

– Advertisement –

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *