Uncategorized

Xenophobic Protests Intensify as Nationwide Shutdown Scheduled for May 4

A consortium known as the Concerned Citizens and the Voters of SA is advocating for a nationwide shutdown on Monday, May 4, in response to the presence of millions of foreign nationals, whom they demand be returned to their native countries, regardless of their documentation status.

This movement appears to be part of a series of campaigns by various groups, including Operation Dudula and March and March, all calling for the repatriation of foreign nationals.

Read:

‘Clean-up campaign’ in Durban CBD transforms into witch hunt for immigrants
The impact of Operation Dudula

One of the group’s messages states, “We are xenophobic. We demand that all foreigners, documented or undocumented, be removed from this country immediately.”

The organization intends to deliver a memorandum at the ANC’s Luthuli House in Johannesburg for President Cyril Ramaphosa and Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi, among others.

Furthermore, their call to action asserts that anyone failing to expel foreigners should either resign or be dismissed by the appropriate authorities, including the ANC National Executive Committee and the South African National Defence Force.

The departments of Education, Health, and Correctional Services should initiate the removal of undocumented foreigners from their facilities, as stated by the group. This action is purported to stop these individuals from exploiting free services and save money for South Africa.

All these demands are made to “prevent civil unrest,” according to the group.

This is the most recent in a series of anti-immigrant initiatives leading up to the upcoming local government elections scheduled for later this year.

Numerous political factions, including ActionSA, Operation Dudula, and the Patriotic Alliance, have taken firm stances against illegal or undocumented foreigners. These parties frame their policies in favor of legal immigration while being strongly opposed to illegal entries.

Read: ActionSA criticizes ZEP extension as Schreiber defends legal processes

ADVERTISEMENT

CONTINUE READING BELOW

Another anti-immigrant entity, March and March, organized a so-called community clean-up campaign in Durban’s CBD, which quickly escalated as participants began targeting foreigners, reporting some to the police, while several foreign-owned businesses were said to have closed.

Tensions escalated this week in Gugu Dlamini Park, where March and March Movement founder Jacinta Ngobese-Zuma joined a protest against undocumented foreigners.

Durban came to a halt as the march progressed through the CBD, with most shops owned by foreigners closing.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) in eThekwini has condemned the metro for permitting unregulated protests, following last month’s events that turned violent.

In 2025, the DA called for the urgent deployment of public order police to curtail Operation Dudula’s disruptions at health facilities, labeling its actions as “xenophobic” and “despicable.”

Operation Dudula points to undocumented migrants as contributing to high unemployment, crime rates, drug trafficking, and strain on public services like healthcare and housing.

The March and March protest in Durban last month was attended by thousands, including Herman Mashaba, president of ActionSA, along with representatives from the IFP and MK parties.

“Regrettably, the incidents of xenophobic violence have surged even prior to the May 2026 protest, historically resulting in property damage, serious injuries to innocent migrants, and even fatalities,” says Advocate Simba Chitando, representing the Zimbabwe Exemption Permit Holders Association.

ADVERTISEMENT:

CONTINUE READING BELOW

‘Politicians to blame’

“There is no doubt that South African politicians are the root cause of this violence, instigating organized, state-sponsored hate crimes to divert attention from their own failures, economic downturn, and the overall breakdown of law and order in the country,” asserts Chitando.

“I believe those responsible must be held legally accountable.”

Nkululeko Xhelitole, president of the Lungelo Lethu Human Rights Foundation, has similarly condemned the planned shutdown, citing its potential for inciting violence.

“This is a nation of laws, and we cannot, as South Africans, scapegoat foreigners for all our issues. There are many problems in this country that require resolution, but this is not the appropriate means to address them.”

The Concerned Citizens and Voters group is urging all political parties, student organizations, taxi associations, hostel residents, and churches to participate in the shutdown.

“We require collective action to expel all foreigners in this battle against foreigners,” they state.

“We would greatly appreciate your support, which includes financial aid, transportation, and the closure of all businesses, workplaces, and schools on Monday, May 4, 2026, in solidarity with the march.

“If our requests are met, it will positively impact this march and increase pressure on the ruling government of the GNU [government of national unity], perceived as ineffective or traitors to the nation.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *